It's my birthday... ~ theatre notes

Friday, September 19, 2008

It's my birthday...

...and I'll blog if I want to. Was there a better way to usher in the anniversary of my nativity than by sitting up until 3am, drinking red wine and reading poems? Possibly - Parisien boutique hotels near the Place des Vosges spring to mind - but it will do. Or maybe it proves that, agèd and increasingly decrepit though I am, with all those years crinkling into crow's feet around my eyes and an ever-broadening white streak in my hair, there is still part of me that remains stubbornly adolescent.

For all that, the fact is that my youth was not so much fun and I don't have any nostalgia for it. I like the age I am. It feels fine. The zeitgeist might be feeling the chilly winds of history, world financial markets might be reaping their sub-prime karma, the global powers might be sticking depleted uranium pins into each other's colonies, the coral reefs are bleaching and the Siberian permafrost is melting into mush, but hey, here I am, and life is now, and life is good.

I have a couple of blog posts to catch up on - a review and a long-intended list of links to an increasingly lively theatrical blogosphere. And the US proofs of The Singing are sitting fatly on my desk, with a deadline rapidly approaching. I'll get around to all that, once my hangover abates anyway, and then I'm taking a few days off and fleeing this fair city for warmer (or at least less meteorologically bipolar) climes. It's a deep breath before I stick my toes into the turbulent waters of the Melbourne Fringe Festival, which lurches into chaotic life this Friday. I've had my usual MFF panic attacks, but have calmed down. I'll see some things, and miss most others, and I'm counting on others to make up the slack.  In the meantime - prost!

13 comments:

Geoffrey said...

Many happy returns Alison!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, dear Alison!

Yet another Virgo in a world that sometimes seems populated exclusively by Christmas children (in my high-school class, 70% of students AND the teacher celebrated birthday in September).

Hoy Polloy said...

Happy days Alison ... love the Hoy Polloy crew ... (70% Leo's!!!) ...

Hope to see you soon.

Ben

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday.

The Singing is in my bookpile and I will get to it soon.

TimT said...

September is certainly the right time to be born! Happy birthday, from a fellow Septembrian!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Alison.Don't forget, today is also International talk like a pirate day! I kid you not!Can you believe it's actually an 'International day of'?
Josie

richardwatts said...

Happy birthday Alison - and enjoy your break in warmer/less schizophrenic climes!

Alison Croggon said...

Many thanks all - the good wishes are very much appreciated! I'll toast you all at dinner tonight!

Anonymous said...

Croggers! Happy Birthday. Woo!
Woo woo woo!

Lee Bemrose said...

Cheers and happy birthday.

And thank you for all the good theatre stuff. Is very good.

Ben Ellis said...

Na zdrowie!

John Branch said...

You have a white streak in your hair? I loved that on Susan Sontag. Best wishes.

genevieve said...

Slainte, and happy birthday too.