Poetry hat ~ theatre notes

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Poetry hat

I've been uncertain whether to post this properly, since official announcement dates seem to have shifted backwards; it was supposed to be announced earlier this month. But what the hell, the news is out anyway. I am one of two Australian poets picked for the inaugural International Tour Circuit, a scheme that was advertised by the Australian Poetry Centre earlier this year. Supported by the Australia Council, the APC sought applications for two leading Australian poets to tour the UK and Ireland, to act as ambassadors for Australian poetry. Unsurprisingly, it attracted applications from almost every poet in the country, and I figured my chances were slim indeed. Just goes to show that it's always worth buying that ticket....

It's a good scheme - for all its myriad strengths, Australian poetry is still regarded as a minor strand in the English-speaking world, and it's a chance to spread the word. I'll be touring with the distinguished poet Robert Gray who, besides being one of the finest lyric voices around, is a lovely guy, and will be good company. The cloud to this silver is that I will miss most of the Melbourne Festival. But not all of it - the tour dates have been moved forward one week, so I'll still get to catch that first week. In particular, Sasha Waltz. Phew!

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Congratulations again, Ms C. You're having quite the year!

Good to hear that you'll still be around for the first week of the festival, too. We might be able to catch up after all.

Angela said...

Congratulations Alison!

genevieve said...

Well, blow me down, I thought it had well and truly been announced - saw it on the Walleah Press blog.
Sorry if I was enthusiastic too early, and congratulations again.

Alison Croggon said...

Thanks all! And enthusiasm is never untimely, Genevieve!