Pina Bausch ~ theatre notes

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Pina Bausch

I just woke up to the sad news that Pina Bausch has died at 68. Her tours of Australia had an electrifying influence on Australian theatre and dance, among many others inspiring Meryl Tankard (whose latest work is on at Malthouse at the end of the year). George Hunka has a memoriam here.

Update: David Jays recalls his first encounter with the work of Pina Bausch.

On a brighter note, it's encouraging to see that Lyndon Terracini has been appointed as the new artistic director of Opera Australia, which has had a troubled time of late. He's been welcomed warmly as an "inspired" choice for the position, and has announced his intention to nurture young composers and new Australian work. He has form on this that stretches back long before his artistic directorship of the Queensland Music Festival. Back in the 90s, he was in fact responsible for my first ventures onto the stage: Terracini was the force behind two operas by Michael Smetanin for which I wrote the libretti, The Burrow and Gauguin, and sang the lead roles. So now you know who to blame.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scene One. Day before festival opens.

ME: Mum Mum we have to go see chamber made in the festival, 8 songs for a mad king was astonishing, lets go see Gauguin.
MUM: Okay,that sounds lovely, do you need me to pay?
ME: Yes please Mummy.

Scene Two. Just after performance concludes.
ME: I am so sorry Mum. I don't know why I thought that would be good.
MUM: It's okay sweetheart, do you need me to buy you a drink?
ME: Yes please. Will you be drinking?
MUM: Oh yes, Oh yes I most certainly will.

Alison Croggon said...

Can't say I especially disagree. I wanted a drink too. But The Burrow - especially the Perth Festival production - is still something I'm very proud of.

Anonymous said...

That's not very nice...

What have you done, anon? Big fat nothing I suspect.

On Stage And Walls said...

I'm sad about Pina and very excited about Lyndon. His commitment (and his wife's Marie Angel's) to contemporary music incredible. In an interview this morning he even enthused about opera embracing digital technology.

Alison Croggon said...

Well, I do still sometimes start awake in the wee hours with memories of Lyndon running around being a paintbrush...

But I agree, he's an exciting choice for the job, and a powerhouse of energy. He should revolutionise the AO, as a huge supporter of new work, and absolutely aware of the risks it entails.

Anonymous said...

The passing of Pina Bausch is incredibly sad. I am not sure how I would have found out if not for your blog.
Her legacy is enormous - her impact on our theatre is very deep and I am so sad that there will no longer be dances to anticipate from this incredible genius. Vale.