Melbourne Writers Festival ~ theatre notes

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Melbourne Writers Festival

If you pop along to the Melbourne Writers Festival at 1.30pm this Sunday and wander into the Beckett Theatre, you'll find me on stage with my colleagues Barry Hill and JS Harry. (Harry is making a rare Melbourne appearance, launching her new poetry collection Not Finding Wittgenstein, which has some bizarrely interesting connections with Michael Watts' play Not Like Beckett - both feature very sentient and rather intellectual rabbits. I'm sure there's a thesis in there somewhere). It seems that we're supposed to be discussing the war in Iraq, but I'm assured that is merely a cover story to lull poetry-phobic patrons, and that it's the poetry that will be speaking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...very sentient and rather intellectual rabbits..."

Artists after my own heart...

I was planning to come along and heckle on Sunday, but I'm afraid I've had to be rather frugal with my Writer's Fest tickets. I'll be attending the full-day masterclass session tomorrow and will be seeing Clive James wax pompous in the evening (can't wait), but due to another festival that's coming up (you know what I'm talking about) I've had to miss everything else of interest. It's a shame, but I'm sure I won't feel that way in October...

Alison Croggon said...

I'm afraid I've been similarly parsimonious, for similar reasons: for me the MWF is an excuse to meet some poets I've been wanting to meet for years, and to catch up with my agent... Looking forward to hearing what you think of James. I heard him speak at the Press Club a long time ago - he was very funny - but lately I think he's gone off the boil, and I have to say I have no interest in buying his latest book!