Greetings, Earthlings! ~ theatre notes

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Greetings, Earthlings!

Your long-lost blogger is circling back to the planet after a hiatus that was rather longer than planned. As you know, we moved house, which is rightly described as one of the more stressful interludes in life's rich banality; but this in itself doesn't account for my absence. Ms TN came down with a vicious bout of flu that left me bedridden for a fortnight, and on top of that I encountered the Kafkaesque world of Aapt Customer Service, a dark exercise in 21st century oxymoronic disempowerment and futility. I still don't know why it took almost a month to move my account, but it did: and at last today I am reconnected to the cyberworld. Although I'm still, physically speaking, a little shaky on my pins, I feel like a long and necessary metamorphosis is almost complete.

In the meantime, Things Have Happened: against all expectation, the VCA is back, with the School of Music being folded into the Melbourne Conservatorium and the "M" (for the "Melbourne Model") being dropped from its monicker. And Simon Phillips yesterday announced his resignation as artistic director of the Melbourne Theatre Company at the end of this year, opening thickets of speculation over who will take this crucial position.

I did see a couple of shows last week, which now my fevers have abated I want to write about, since both were so interesting: Benedict Andrews' Belvoir St production of Measure for Measure, and Lucy Guerin's new dance/theatre piece, Human Interest Story. I'm still taking things a bit slowly, but the neurones are beginning to flicker fitfully, and by next week, TN should be back on track, even given how the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley, etc. There's been enough agley for now, I reckon. And it's nice to be back.

7 comments:

TimT said...

Welcome back Kla'atu. I mean Alison.

George Hunka said...

I wondered where you'd gotten to. Welcome back!

Alison Croggon said...

Thanks George and Tim!

diana simmonds said...

Take care of the neurones and the neurones will take care of you. That does not apply to dealing with telcos, but. So keep warm and remember to wear wool.

Anonymous said...

I think Phillips is going to be there till the end of next year.

Alison Croggon said...

You're right! 2011 is indeed the end of next year. Apologies for the error... I'm ahead of myself and tripping over my own feet. I blame Aapt.

epistemysics said...

Oo! You seeing Measure for Measure is a pleasant surprise - looking forward to the review of that.

But yes, welcome back!