Me and Rilke ~ theatre notes

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Me and Rilke

I know I've been talking a lot about myself lately, and I swear I'll battle me down and let some theatre get a look-in. But permit me one more indulgence: today in the post, as if on cue to remind me that I am more than a novelist or even a crrritic, I received the latest issue of Agenda, a wonderful UK poetry magazine. It's a substantial issue (288 pages), A Reconsideration of Rainer Maria Rilke, and it includes an essay and two translations of mine. I'm thrilled: I'm in wonderful company with, among many other luminaries, writings by Michael Hamburger, David Brooks, John Burnside, Phillippe Jaccottet, Yves Bonnefoy and even Friedrich Nietszche. And, quite aside from my own contributions, it looks like a must-read for anyone interested in this great lyric poet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Where can one purchase said 'Agenda'? Any bookstores likely to have it or is it really a mail-order job?

Hankering for your Othello review... No pressure.

Ben.

Alison Croggon said...

I don't know if it's for sale here - it should be, because it publishes quite a few Australian poets (David Brooks is Australian, and Judith Bishop, another Australian poet, translates the Jaccottet). If you can buy it here, you would surely find it at Readings or Collected Works - or maybe get them to order it in...otherwise you'll have to order it from the webpage. Well worth the trouble, I'd say, I've already read quite a bit of it and there are some fab things.

genevieve said...

That looks wonderful, Alison, you should be rightly chuffed. I will try to get hold of it through Melbourne Uni library I think.

George Hunka said...

This is splendid. Excelsior, Miss A.