Bits and Bobs ~ theatre notes

Friday, November 17, 2006

Bits and Bobs

A group of talented young theatre artists is bringing some of Australia's theatre history to life at the Northcote Town Hall this week (and next). Here Theatre is presenting Louis Esson's 1912 classic The Time is not yet Ripe. A strong cast is directed by Jane Woollard as they explore the tensions between ideals and practical politics. It sounds fascinating - I'd be there if I could. It's on for eight performances only, 15-25 November, bookings 9481 9500.

The Stupid Play is a hilarious new play written by Matthew Lambert (Short & Sweet Finalist 2005 for Hamlet) and directed by Lynne Ellis (Mysterium, The Day My Bum Went Psycho) and starring Wes Snelling (Trash). Set to thrill, this absurdist farce is located in a country manor house and begins in the style of a pre-war radio play which quickly falls apart as the actors drink, flirt and fight. At the Carlton Courthouse, 349 Drummond St. Carlton, Thursday 16th 7pm, Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 November at 4pm, Sat 2nd sun 3rd at 4pm.

And, worthy folk, you can listen to me making my New York debut as a speakerphone on a panel at CUNY Graduate Centre about theatre blogging and criticism, chaired by the inimitable George Hunka with fellow bloggers Matt Johnston and Andy Horowitz. It was cool (though I was sorry that their budget didn't stretch to flying me in). Many things were discussed, including theatre...and they could have been discussed for much longer. Bloggers being bloggers.

Also, more in the Age about Kristy Edmunds and the Melbourne Festival, and more figures being trotted out to prove the festival wasn't a "success". Oh boy. Well, you all know my thoughts about this. What gets me is this: it was ok to spend $1 billion of "taxpayer's money" on the Commonwealth Games - none of that is coming back, folks. I'll say that again - $1 billion. I didn't see any editorials thundering about the cost of that event - Robin Usher in fact was lauding it to the skies - nor any complaining that the $13 million arts component made no box office - let's count it, $0.00 box office profit - because it was free! Let's be a little even handed...

Oh, and while we're at it, courtesy of Petal (thanks Petal), Boltwatch has a post (plus several libellous - to me, I mean - comments) on Andrew Bolt's dishonest misquotation of me in his marvellous Ghettos of Hate frothpiece. (Let's be kind, maybe he is not being dishonest; maybe he failed English comprehension at school). Celebrity of a kind, I guess. Me, I'm still awaiting my specially ordered ARTS EXTREMIST badge.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alison,
Arts extremist ay? That wacky, zainy Andrew Bolt - I'll print up Alison Croggon t-shirts (Che guevara style) complete with beret - even a veiled version for my good Muslim sisters (they hang out in those suburbs of sin, those dens of deception..those..oh you get the idea.

Anonymous said...

5 billion...you gotta link for that figure?

TQ

TimT said...

Went to 'The Time is Not Yet Ripe'. A review (of sorts) is here:

http://willtypeforfood.blogspot.com/2006/11/miss-perkins-is-energetic-secretary-of.html

Anonymous said...

sorry going blind I saw 5 bill when you had written one. No link required.

TQ

Alison Croggon said...

Hi TQ - no, your eyes are fine. Things are definitely dodgy in the comments, though: I posted something a couple of days ago about how I'd rechecked after your query (I got the original figure from Wikipedia a while back, and it has subsequently been corrected) and had corrected it...and for some reason it's not there.

Anyway, hopefully this will get through - thanks for pulling me up on it. All corrections here gratefully received, in fact...

Alison Croggon said...

Hi TimT - the Louis Esson sounds a hoot - I wish I could have managed to get there. I did get to Babes in the Wood, tho - more later on that.