Renovations ~ theatre notes

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Renovations

Eagle-eyed readers will notice that I have given Theatre Notes a swish new look. Unless they're squinting at it through Internet Explorer 5 for Mac, which seems to scramble it entirely. Apologies for this glitch: I am investigating solutions. In the meantime, I suggest Explorer surfers try another browser, such as Firefox or Safari, which puts all the text and graphics and sidebars and gewgaws in the right places. Many apologies to anyone going cross-eyed trying to read this...

The image in the top bar is Robert Fludd's 1619 drawing of the Globe theatre, the Theatre of Memory, from "Ars memoriae".

Update: I've given up; the software problems on IE5/Mac seem insoluble, and are certainly beyond my primitive coding. Since IE6 for PC seems to work fine, I can only urge Mac users to trash IE5, which is no longer supported by Microsoft anyway, and use Safari (or to download a more useable browser, like Firefox). Boo hiss (yet again) to Bill Gates: his software has wasted many of my precious hours over the years....

10 comments:

Kirsty said...

Alison, it looks all very aligned and swish to me using Explorer 6.0. V. nice btw

Alison Croggon said...

Thanks Galaxy - and it's very good to know it's not all Explorer browsers! Well, I'll continue on the hunt...

Anonymous said...

Agreed, it does stand out from all those default-design blogs. And I was never exactly sure what that furry animal in the right-hand column was to begin with ...

Anonymous said...

Squeal. I love what you've done with the curtains.

Theatre Queen

Alison Croggon said...

Glad you like it. I am feeling quite pleased with myself, though I will be better pleased when I can figure out how to make it work in Explorer. (I've narrowed it down to IE 5 for Mac).

As for the "furry animal" - it was an Icelandic pony, George. Didn't you add it up to the line with said "from the horse's mouth"? Well, it amused my tiny mind when I put it up there. But I like Fludd rather better.

Anonymous said...

Well, Alison, I knew it had something to do with that, I just didn't know what the hell kind of horse it was. Not too many Icelandic ponies at the racetracks I occasionally visit.

I like the Fludd better too, for what that's worth.

DL said...

Well that looks spiffy Alison !

And the less microsoft the better, so it looks spiffy on firefox to me ! :)

Now if I could only figure out how to archive my posts by titles and not by dates on the side column....
*sigh*

MattJ said...

Love it! Isn't it funny how an adjustment like this can make a site so much more homey? cheers.

Anonymous said...

The blog does look great - the sans-serif font is much easier to concentrate on. Now, if only sans-serif italics weren't so pixellated...ah pedantry!

Best

Jasmine

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison,

Nice work, like the minimalist thang. People still use I.E? All hail the Firefox!